Argidius project (Dutch Cooperation Service - SNV)
• Consultancy on elaboration of training guides for: coffee hybrids, GAP and multi-certifications and teaching methodologies for smallholders directed at technicians in coffee producer organizations in Honduras and Nicaragua
• Pilot project for Cleaner Production program: construction of 6 wet mills with improved environmental performance (water consumption reduced by 70%) and a waste water treatment system that eliminated 60% of contamination.
Energy from Coffee Waste in Central America (UTZ Certified)
• Responsible for the process design and technical development of waste water treatment systems for 19 pilot sites across 7 organizations in Nicaragua, Honduras and Guatemala.
• Producers benefit from the production of biogas from coffee waste water and its use as an alternative energy source as well as the reduction of pollution through improved treatment of waste water. To learn more about this project click here.
• Technical representative for Costa Rica and Consultant in Central America
LINKING. LEADING. LEARNING
“ACERES has helped us strengthen our business through certification and by training Coagriscal staff and our partners. They have inspired the development of our communities through improving the quality of life of our associates.”
Ing Jorge Deras
Evaluation and Implementation of sustainability standards (EXPOCERT-FALCON)
• Evaluation and implementation of the C.A.F.E Practices program in two coffee cooperatives from Honduras (COAGRICSAL and COPROCAEL) and seven coffee cooperatives in Nicaragua (El Gorrion, Aldea Global, CECOCAFEN, UCA, SJRC, CORCOSAN, UCOSEMUN, Soppexcca).
• Evaluation, training and technical consulting for Fair Trade’s certification process in ten base cooperatives affiliated to Grelpa Oaxaca, Mexico.
Waste Water Treatment Workshops (Solidaridad)
• Training and evaluation of Good Agricultural Practices (GAP), wet and dry coffee processing and risk management for smallholder coffee organizations from the regions of Mazateca, Mixe and Costa in Oaxaca state, Mexico.
• Workshop on treatment of coffee waste water for the post-harvest team at ANACAFE, Guatemala.
ACERES has a strong track record in delivering environmental consulting services, from monitoring compliance with sustainability standards to the design and implementation of complex waste management systems. At ACERES we thrive on applying our specialist knowledge and skills to all our clients, large or small. Below is a selection of some of the projects we have been working on:
Management of ICS and evaluation of Fair Trade certification (COOCAFE and its 9 affiliated coffee cooperatives)
• ACERES holds the position of Production Controller and Head of the Internal Quality System for all certification processes.
• Evaluation and technical consulting for the Fair Trade program with 3500 coffee smallholders.
Design and implementation of waste water treatment system (La Eva Processing plant)
• Design, evaluation, supervision and operation of anaerobic reactor for treatment of waste water. Training of personnel in the operation of the waste water treatment system.
Evaluation of waste water treatment system (COOPELIBERTAD Coffee Mill, Costa Rica)
• Consultant for waste water and coffee pulp treatment system.
Analysis and evaluation of waste water treatment system (BIOMASS TECHNOLOGY GROUP (BTG))
• Operational analysis of waste water treatment system and technical evaluation of methane gas collection (anaerobic reactors) in three centralized coffee mills (Coopranaranjo, Jorco and Pilas)
Large-scale coffee pulp treatment program (FINMAC, Costa Rica)
• Technical lead in installation of coffee pulp treatment system for the industrial production of organic fertilizer in several centralized coffee mills (18,000 tons of pulp per year).
Integrated weed management guide (UTZ Certified, CATIE)
• Investigative study into use of weeds to optimize coffee production and minimize or eliminate the use of agrochemicals.
• Publication of guide as a tool for technical assistants and producers to learn about weed management and improve productivity. View guide here.